Peer Academic Advising Program Coordinator
Returning PAAs are invited to apply for the 2022-2023 Peer Academic Advising Program Coordinator.
Applicants for the Peer Academic Advising Program must:
- Be a current student at UCI with PAA or related experience
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Be available to help plan and facilitate training which takes place 5-7 pm every Thursday of the Spring 2022 quarter
- Be available for working hours Summer 2022 (some hours may be completed remotely)
- Be available for working hours and all PAA meetings Fall 2022 through Spring 2023
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Strong command of UCI academic policies and procedures
- Understanding of non-academic departments and their relationship to academic advising
- Ability to lead and motivate others
- Ability to respond to students in a helpful manner, either one-on-one or in groups
- Ability to work and relate well with faculty and staff
- Previous experience addressing meetings and groups is preferred, but not required
- Previous experience with the program and/or event planning is preferred, but not required
Role and Responsibilities
The PAA Coordinator for the current application cycle will serve for the entire 2022-2023 academic year. The incoming PAA Coordinator also is expected to facilitate the training offered during Spring Quarter 2022 and prior to Welcome Week in September 2022 in preparation for Welcome Week activities. Please note that coordinating the Fall Refresher Training and Welcome Week programming will require work during Summer 2021.
- Attend regular check-in meetings with the Program Director.
- Work with director and outgoing coordinator to plan and facilitate training for new PAAs.
- Act as a liaison between PAAs and PAA Supervisors in each advising office.
- Maintain regular communication with the 2022-2023 PAA Team and the PAA Supervisors regarding important program information, activities, events, meetings, volunteer opportunities, and updates to academic policies and resources.
- Manage social media accounts for the program (Facebook, Instagram).
- Maintain a consistent and accurate record of students served by PAAs through online tally system. Send periodic reports to PAA Supervisors.
- Chair and conduct meetings for the Academic Advising Council (AAC), including scheduling of guest speakers. See Time Commitments below.
- Coordinate PAA outreach efforts throughout the year in partnership with other on-campus offices and organizations (Welcome Week Booths, Residence Hall Advising, Academic Integrity Hearings, etc.).
- Promote PAA workshops and projects coordinated by individual advising offices.
- Coordinate recruitment efforts for PAA and Coordinator positions for the following year.
- Coordinate goal setting and performance evaluation of PAAs with PAA Supervisors.
- Track program data including attendance to training/meetings and performance tallies.
- Track program budget and expenditures for business cards, t-shirts, program supplies, food, etc.
Competencies to be Acquired
As the PAA Coordinator, you have the opportunity to learn and develop competencies including:
- Professional communication and public speaking skills.
- Leadership and Human Resource experience in a large institution setting, including interaction with colleagues across various levels of the University, exposure to multiple office procedure approaches, and access to information and insights to achieve a deeper understanding of the University’s structure, services, and academic operations.
- Program administration experience, including knowledge relating to budgets and overall project management.
- Cross- and Inter-cultural fluency working with the diverse University population.
- Increased familiarity and experience with data, reports, office technology, and professional use of social media.
Spring 2022 (minimum 2-4 hours/week)
- New PAA Training every Thursday, 5-7 p.m from March 31 to June 2, 2022.
- Additional hours to prepare and review training materials as well as meet with the director and outgoing coordinator.
Summer 2022 (40 hours total)
- Maintain contact with director and new PAAs regarding summer advising duties.
- Schedule meeting with all PAA Supervisors to occur before the start of Fall Quarter.
- Plan Fall Refresher Training, including invitation to lunch during the training for all PAA Supervisors.
- Coordinate the additional PAA Welcome Week activities listed below…
Welcome Week 2022 (20 hours total)
- Fall Refresher Training: Friday, September 23, 2022
- Convocation Ushering: Monday, September 26, 2022
- Ring Road Tabling: September 27 through September 30, 2022
Fall 2022, Winter 2023, Spring 2023 (10 hours/week)
- Attend weekly check-ins with program director.
- Plan and facilitate all Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) meetings: currently held on Wednesdays from 5-6 p.m. every even week of the Fall quarter, and Weeks 5 and 10 of the Winter and Spring quarters.
- Coordinate PAA participation in volunteer and paid activities for Academic Integrity Hearings, Residence Hall Advising, and other services as needed.
- Work to recruit new and returning PAAs for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Assist incoming PAA Coordinator with Spring 2022 training of new PAAs.
The PAA Coordinator is expected to be paid $16/hour for the 2022-2023 academic year, pending budget approval.
As part of your application you will submit the following:
- Online Application Form
- Two References
- One-page Résumé
The online application will include several short essay questions. Before beginning the application, please consider your responses to the following items:
- Why are you interested in the PAA Coordinator position?
- What is your proudest accomplishment as a Peer Advisor or Student Leader?
- How would the PAA Coordinator position fit with your long-term professional development?
Application Deadline for 2022-2023: Sunday, January 23, 2022, by 11:59:59pm *
Review of applications and interviews for select candidates: January 24 through February 24, 2022
Final selection and notifications: February 25, 2022
Onboarding for new position: February 28 through March 18, 2022
Position begins: March 28, 2022
Training begins: Thursday, March 31, 2022
If you have any additional questions about the application process or the coordinator position, please contact the PAA Coordinator Quynh Theresa Do and the PAA Director Heather Cartagena at email@example.com.