Become a Peer Academic Advisor
The highly selective Peer Academic Advising (PAA) Program is currently recruiting new Peer Academic Advisors for the upcoming academic year! All second-years and above with a genuine desire to help other students are invited and encouraged to apply. Applicants should possess advanced communication skills, evidence of scholastic achievement, and basic knowledge of his/her/their major and UCI.
Selected PAA’s will have the opportunity to develop their public speaking and communication skills further, expand their knowledge of UCI’s academic programs and resources, and gain valuable leadership, organizational, and social skills. The PAA position will allow students to achieve heightened success not only here at UCI, but also, in their future endeavors. Above all, PAA’s will assume one of the most respected paid student positions on the UCI campus while providing a valuable service to other undergraduates. Apply today!
Applicants for the 2022-2023 Peer Academic Advising Program must:
- Be a current student at UCI of Junior or Senior standing by Fall 2022 (current sophomores and juniors)
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Be available for training 5-7 pm every Thursday of the Spring 2022 quarter
- Be available for working orientation sessions and/or advising office hours Summer 2022 (varies by office)
- Be available for working advising office hours Fall 2022 through Spring 2023
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to respond to students in a helpful manner, either one-on-one or in groups
- Ability to work and relate well with faculty and staff
- Previous experience and knowledge of UCI services and resources is preferred, but not required
As part of your application you will submit the following:
- Online Application Form
- One Reference
- One-page Résumé
The online application will include several short essay questions. Before beginning the application, please consider your responses to the following items:
- Why are you interested in the Peer Academic Advisor position?
- What is your definition of a good Peer Academic Advisor?
- What skills/experiences do you possess that will help you meet the responsibilities of a Peer Academic Advisor?
Application Deadline for 2021-2022: Friday, January 14, 2022, by 11:59:59pm PST *
Review of applications and Interviews for select candidates: January 18 through February 18, 2022
Final selections and notifications: February 22, 2022
Onboarding for new hires: February 23 through March 18, 2022
Training begins: Thursday, March 31, 2022
* Please note that while applications will be accepted until the deadline, most offices will review applications as they are received and potentially contact candidates for interviews prior to the deadline.
Two information sessions were held about the current application cycle.
- Thursday, December 2, 2021 @3pm PST (Zoom) – Recording
- Wednesday, January 5, 2022 @4pm PST (Zoom) – Recording
For information about the responsibilities of the position, please review the PAA Job Description.
For additional information about eligibility and the application process, please review the Application FAQ page.
If you still have questions about the application process or position, please contact the PAA Coordinator Quynh Theresa Do or the PAA Program Director Heather Cartagena (firstname.lastname@example.org).