Become a Peer Academic Advisor
The highly selective Peer Academic Advising (PAA) Program is currently recruiting new Peer Academic Advisors for the upcoming academic year!
All second-years and above with a genuine desire to help other students are invited and encouraged to apply. Applicants should possess advanced communication skills, evidence of scholastic achievement, and a basic knowledge of his or her major and UCI.
Selected PAA’s will have the opportunity to develop their public speaking and communication skills further, expand their knowledge of UCI’s academic programs and resources, and gain valuable leadership, organizational, and social skills. The PAA position will allow students to achieve heightened success not only here at UCI, but also, in their future endeavors. Above all, PAA’s will assume one of the most respected paid student positions on the UCI campus while providing a valuable service to other undergraduates. Apply today!
Applicants for the Peer Academic Advising Program must:
- Be a current student at UCI of Junior or Senior standing by Fall 2020 (current sophomores and juniors)
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Be available for training 5-7pm every Thursday of the Spring 2020 quarter
- Be available for working orientation and/or office hours Summer 2020 (varies by office)
- Be available for working office hours Fall 2020 through Spring 2021
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to respond to students in a helpful manner, either one-on-one or in groups
- Ability to work and relate well with faculty and staff
- Previous experience and knowledge of UCI services and resources is preferred, but not required
As part of your application you will submit the following:
- Online Application Form
- Two References
- One-page Résumé
The online application will include several short essay questions. Before beginning the application, please consider your responses to the following items:
- Why are you interested in the Peer Academic Advisor position?
- What is your definition of a good Peer Academic Advisor?
- What skills/experiences do you possess that will help you meet the responsibilities of a Peer Academic Advisor?
Application Deadline for 2020-2021: Friday, January 17, 2020 by 11:59:59pm *
Review of applications and Interviews for select candidates: January 21 through February 20, 2020
Final selections and notifications: February 21, 2020
Onboarding for new hires: February 24 through March 13, 2020
Training begins: Thursday, April 2, 2020
* Please note that while applications will be accepted until the deadline, most offices will review applications as they are received and potentially contact candidates for interviews prior to the deadline.
If you have any additional questions about the position, please review the PAA job description. For questions regarding the application process, please contact the PAA Coordinator Robyn Noguchi (email@example.com) or the PAA Director Heather Cartagena (firstname.lastname@example.org).